CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 1, 2009

What Are You Thankful For?


How often do we get out of bed and forget to hit our knees, thanking our Heavenly Father for what we have? How many times do we pass a man or woman in the military and not thank them for their service and sacrifice? I cant help but feel greatful for the opportunity we have have as Americans to live in this country. I had the chance to speak with a gentleman recently who has fought in multiple wars and flown into many life threatening situations all for the sake of protecting us and insuring our freedoms. I was able to personally thank him for his service and his only words were, "Thank you for your support." I know my thanks may seem insignificant to a person who has risked life and limb, trained many hours in uncomfortable circumstances, been away from home for extended periods of time, missed the birth or birthday of their children, missed the sweet embrace of their spouse after a tough day, was left alone to celebrate holidays such as Christmas or Thanksgiving, or worse yet, either suffered a terrible injury or even death. As I look at the picture above, I cant help but hope we are all praying for our military brothers and sisters who are doing what we dont have to. I hope that we are praying for their safe return so more kids dont have to be faced with growing up in a home without their mother or father.

I was fortunate not to have to enlist in the military, but would have done so it I were called to. Instead, I have a home that is full of warmth, love, dis-obedient footsteps that should be in bed, laughter, the sweet aroma of homemade bread, a wifes voice that calms me, and the Spirit of the Lord that comforts in times of need. - - I often compare that to a cot that is filled with sand, a barrack that is cramped and uncomfortable, a vehicle that is being constanlty shot as as it moves supplies or troops around an area, a hole that is filled with water or mud awaiting the next attack, or a home that has not a dad or mom because they were protecting other Americans and died doing so.

As you look at the picture above, please offer up a special prayer for all of our brave service men and women who do daily what we dont have to. Please thank a soldier next time you pass one in the grocery store or in a parking lot. Those protecting us need to know we appreciate what they are doing. The need to see and hear the respect they deserve. As the bumper sticker reads that we see so often, "If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet."

4 comments:

Candy said...

MIKE! I love your blog, that is so awesome! I've got to show it to my dad..Mr.NRA. I'm glad to know there are others out there who love their right to bear arms. That is my dad's passion in life is rifles.
THanks for the link to my site too!

The Carter's said...

Hey there stud muffin Mike! haha. That was awesome. I must say right now I do think you are a lil stud muffin. We dont thank our military enough. So many things are taken for granted but totally put into place when we are separated for 5 months at a time. haha. Thanks for the post. I liked it alot. haha

Cylee Pressley said...

That is really sweet honey. I love that you have this blog cuz I am learning things about you that you don't share.

Love ya,

The Carter's said...

What the Heck!!! Why are we not on your friends and family list? hhhhmmmmmmmm!!! Your Fired!!!!!!!1